Pangea Ferments

Posted by sarah.harkins | August 9, 2019

Featured Fermenter: Pangea Ferments

Pangea ferments
Photo: Matthew McDermott of Cloud Mt Farm (left). 
My wife Chika holding my son Caylum and myself [Braeden
Kaemingk] with my daughter Seren
A few weeks ago I talked to another producer of fermented vegetables from the opposite side of the state. It was very interesting to the differences and similarities between the products that these two fermenters make. Maybe these interviews will inspire you to take a road tip or two to taste the difference yourself.
What made you decide to start making fermented foods in Washington?
There has been something fermenting in my house for the last 8 years.  That is not to say that I’ve an 8 year old ferment..haha.  I’ve been brewing for kombucha for as long, though it’s not something I do for the business.  I suppose kombucha is just where my love started.  Having made my first sauerkraut that first year as well, my enthusiasm turned to a love affair of which my wife approves.  As to why Washington, well Bellingham is my ol’ stomping ground and much of my family still lives up here.  The Pacific NW also happens to be a great place to get a lot of great produce!
What products do your produce and what is your favorite?
We’ve 4 varieties of sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles available seasonally.
I wouldn’t say that I have a favorite, I’ve definitely dishes that I make specific to the variety of kraut that I’m using.
In our house we do tend to use kimchi in more dishes.  We eat a lot of asian inspired food and it’s definitely a rice over bread house.
The textures, flavor and level of heat of our kimchi make it super versatile.  It’s one of those that’s great on eggs, sandwiches, rice bowls, noodles
and straight out of the jar.  Okay, it’s starting to sound like I have a favorite.
Are you working on anything new?
We are working on a few new products.  Check out pangeaferments.com to figure out what’s on it’s way.
Do you use a starter culture or wild cultures?
Pangea Ferments Kimchi
We do not use any starter cultures for our ferments, wild fermentation has always proven to be the way to go.
Where do you get your ingredients?
We source the majority of our ingredients from organic farmers here in Whatcom and Skagit counties.
How long does it take to go from raw materials to finished product?
Our kimchi ferments for 3 weeks and all of our krauts will ferment from 4-5 weeks.
What is your favorite thing to eat sauerkraut on?
Toast, avocado topped with any of our krauts or pan fried veg covered in our Three Seed Sauerkraut are great, simple ways that I enjoy our krauts.

Want to learn more about the Pangea Ferments? They can be found at:

Website        Facebook